Prof. dr. Judi Mesman
2017 – current: Professor of Interdisciplinary Study of Societal Challenges, Leiden University
2013 – 2017: Professor of Diversity in Parenting and Development, Leiden University
2009 – 2012: Professor of Parenting and Education in the Multicultural Society (special chair), Leiden University
20 PhDs completed as supervisor (of which 3 as co-supervisor)
- Dean Leiden University College The Hague (2016 – current)
- Scientific Director Institute Education and Child Studies, Leiden University (2013-2016)
- Co-leader of the National Science Agenda themed route ‘Youth, Parenting, Development, and Education (2015 – current)
- Co-leader of the Leiden university profile area Health, Prevention, and the Human Lifecycle van (2015-2016)
- Department chair of the Centre of Child and Family Studies, Leiden University (2008-2012)
Honors / grants:
- Member of the Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie van Wetenschappen (since 2018)
- Member of the Koninklijke Hollandsche Maatschappij der Wetenschappen (since 2015)
- Ca. € 8 million of competitive research grants obtained, including:
- ERC Consolidator grant (2016)
- ERC Starting grant (2009)
- NWO Vici (2o17)
- NWO Vidi (2009)
- NWO Veni (2004)
- Excellent Teacher award, Faculty of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Leiden University (2011)
- Excellent Teacher award, Institute of Education and Child Studies, Leiden University (2008)
- Gender and parenting
- Culture and parenting
- Racial socialization
Van der Pol, L. D., Groeneveld, M. G., Van Berkel, S. R., Endendijk, J. E., Hallers-Haalboom, E. T., Bakermans-Kranenburg, M. J., & Mesman, J. (in press). Fathers’ and mothers’ emotion talk with their girls and boys from toddlerhood to preschool age. Emotion.
Mesman, J., Minter, T., Angnged, A., Cissé, I.A.H., Salal, G.D., & Migliano, A.B. (in press). Universality without Uniformity: A Culturally Inclusive Approach to Sensitive Responsiveness in Infant Caregiving. Child Development.
Endendijk, J.J., Groeneveld, M., Van der Pol, L.D., Van Berkel, S.R., Hallers-Haalboom, E.T., Bakermans-Kranenburg, M.J, & Mesman, J. (2016). Gender Differences in Child Aggression: Relations with Gender-Differentiated Parenting and Parents’ Gender-Role Stereotypes. Child Development (online first).
Mesman, J., Jansen, S., & Van Rosmalen, L. (2016). Black Pete through the eyes of Dutch children. PLoS ONE 11: e0157511. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0157511
Endendijk, J.J., Groeneveld, M.G., Mesman, J., Van der Pol, L.D., Van Berkel, S.R., Hallers-Haalboom, E.T., & Bakermans-Kranenburg, M.J. (2014). Boys don’t play with dolls: Mothers’ and fathers’ gender talk during picture book reading. Parenting: Science and Practice, 14, 141-161.
Van der Pol, L. D., Groeneveld, M. G., Van Berkel, S. R., Endendijk, J. E., Hallers-Haalboom, E. T., Bakermans-Kranenburg, M. J., & Mesman, J. (2015). Fathers’ and mothers’ emotion talk with their girls and boys from toddlerhood to preschool age. Emotion, 15, 854-864.